Title: Preye and the Sea of Plastic
Author: Fatima Akilu
Publisher: Cassava Republic Press
Number of pages: 32
Type of Book: Fiction; Educational
Age: 4 – 8
Preye is plagued by the plastic bags strewn all over his neighbourhood; on the playground, in the farms and markets, on the roads, everywhere. One day, he decides to take matters into his own hands and he starts an action group made up of kids! This group storms the District Head’s Office and then the local TV station to get adults to help their cause. Eventually, they make a film/documentary about the harmful effects of the use of plastic bags on the environment. This film makes the kids popular and soon enough, they are giving speeches in different towns and having meetings with the president! Better still, they convince market sellers to use paper bags and raffia baskets in place of plastic bags! Read the book to find out what Preye (maybe) plans to do next!
THUMBS UP AND DOWN
UP: It shows kids that they can make a difference in the world, irrespective of their age. It shows also the advantages of team work (the kids in the action group had to split into 3 groups of 5 to conduct research, film and conduct interviews for their film (documentary)). Most importantly, it shows young readers the importance of keeping our environment safe and clean for man and animals and that they are just as responsible for it as the adults are!
DOWN: None. Well, I wish it showed kids simple practical ways to keep the environment clean e.g. by putting rubbish in bins instead of dumping them on the road, turning some to compost, etc. For kid friendly tips on saving the environment, read our next book of the week, “Help Your Parents Save the Planet”. Subscribe now and get it in your mail!
- The subject of this story is the Millennium Development Goal of Ensuring Environmental Sustainability.
HAVE FUN WITH THIS BOOK
- Read an excerpt here: http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0103/7312/files/Excerpt_for_website_Pages_from_Preye_2011.pdf?3621
- Learn more about the Millennium Development Goals here: https://www.unicef.org/mdg/files/childfriendlymdgs_edited.pdf
CHALLENGE: Preye and the Sea of Plastic
CREATE (WRITE a Story/Poem OR DRAW)
Read the story above and answer the questions below:
- List 3 simple things you can do to keep your environment clean (4 – 6 year olds)
- List the Millennium Development Goals? (7 – 8 year olds)
- Do something to help your community and write a 100-word essay about it (7 – 8 year olds)
Send your answers to email@example.com
Entry requirements: Entrants must be within the 4 – 8 age range. The first correct entry will be announced on this page and will win a copy of this book.
Answers must be submitted before 12:00am on Friday, February 3rd 2017.
Next Book of the Week:
AALIYAH LEARNS A NEW DANCE by Fatima Akilu
photo credit: cassavarepublic.biz