Title: Where The Wild Things Are
Author: Maurice Sendak
Publisher: Red Fox Books
Number of pages: 48
Type of Book: Fiction; Fantasy
Age: 4 – 8
Price: N2650; $6.36
“Wild thing!”, Max’s mother called him one night after he put on a wolf’s costume and a king’s crown and tried to wreak havoc at home with first, a hammer and then, a fork. Sent to his bedroom without dinner, he imagined himself in an exciting new place filled with wild things, with no mothers, no rules and lots of time to play. He was even crowned the King of the wild things! And all seemed well with the world until …
THUMBS UP AND DOWN
- It’s a classic, first published in 1963.
- Oh the places you’ll go … this time, not when you read but when you have an overactive imagination. This book celebrates one of the joys of most childhoods, an active imagination.
- Maurice uses vibrant illustrations to turn Max’s bedroom first into a forest and then a forest leading to an ocean and then a whole new world!
DOWN: Monsters! Monsters and more Monsters! Images of huge, yellow-eyed, horned creatures with long sharp teeth and longer sharper claws are splashed generously across the pages of this book. They are stuff childhood nightmares are made of. My almost 4-year-old sat quietly through the reading, no comments, no questions, just silence. We won’t be reading this again, at least not in the near future. Not recommended for night time reading.
HAVE FUN WITH THIS BOOK
- Watch a video here:
CHALLENGE: Where the Wild Things Are
CREATE (WRITE a Story/Poem OR DRAW)
Watch the video above, then …
- List 3 characters in the book (3 – 5 year olds)
- List three characters in the book starting with the letter M. Find them in the crossword puzzle below (6 – 8 year olds)
Send your answers to email@example.com
Entry requirements: Entrants must be within the 4 – 8 age range. The first correct entry will be announced on this page and will win a copy of this book.
Answers must be submitted before 12:00am on Friday, March 2nd 2018.
Next Book of the Week:
ANIKE ELEKO by Sandra Joubeaud
photo credit: amazon.com