Author: Tolulope Fabamwo
Publisher: Amaleez Books
Number of pages: 109
Type of Book: Contemporary, Fiction
Price: N90; $9.99
Ten-year-old Afeni longed for many things. He wanted to meet his father, he wanted his mother to stop working as a housekeeper, he wanted to be accepted by the other kids in school, he wanted to live in a nice house, he wanted to own and ride his own bike, he wanted many things. He often thought about these things, sometimes he dreamt about them in the tiny room he shared with his mother in the servant quarters of the Badmus residence. But it seemed all hope was lost when he got home one day to find his mum dead. He was forced to move to Lagos with an uncle he had seen only once in his life. Afeni’s life changed. All of a sudden, he lived in a big house, in a big estate; he went to a school for wealthy kids, he even made a friend but he wasn’t happy. However, there was one more surprise in store for Afeni …
THUMBS UP AND DOWN
UP: The illustrations were beautiful. It had a happy ending.
DOWN: There was a bit of ‘Nigerian English’.
- Afeni’s reaction when he realized his mother was dead. He went into shock!
- Why did Afeni grow up without his father? His father disappeared shortly after Afeni’s mother became pregnant.
- What did Afeni and Lola have in common? They didn’t know the identity of their biological fathers.
- How old was Afeni when he met his father? 10 years old.
- “Bastards are bad luck!” Who said this and why? Afeni’s classmate. He didn’t want to be on the same team as Afeni.
CREATE (WRITE a Story/Poem OR DRAW)
- Write a 600-word short story on any of the following themes: Kindness OR Friendship
Send your answers to firstname.lastname@example.org
Entry requirements: Entrants must be within the 8-12 age range. The first correct entry will be announced on this page and will win a copy of this book.
Answers must be submitted before 12:00am on Sunday, April 17th 2016.
Next Book of the Week:
A TALE OF TWO CITIES by Charles Dickens