February is Millennium Development Goals Month
Title: The Red Transistor Radio
Author: Fatima Akilu
Publisher: Cassava Republic Press
Number of pages: 32
Type of Book: Fiction; Educational
Age: 4 – 8
Khalida’s mummy had an old red transistor radio that she played ALL the time and Khalida was tired of hearing that radio. Finally, one day, she burst out,
“Mama … Why do you listen to this radio all day? It’s very annoying!”
Her aunty gave her the weirdest answer ever. “… that radio is special … it has made many things happen, including you, Khalida”
Khalida didn’t think much of her aunt’s response until she was given an assignment in school to write a story about something unusual that happened to her.
So Khalida asked her parents how the radio made her. Read the book to find out how the red transistor radio made Khalida and how its story made her famous!
THUMBS UP AND DOWN
UP: It emphasizes the Millennium Development Goal of improving maternal health. It takes an important and very adult subject and breaks into tiny nuggets, making it easy for young readers to digest. It also does this in the most peculiar yet fun way, using the story of a radio. Young readers learn how to prevent maternal mortality and improve maternal health by making sure pregnant women frequent antenatal clinics, eat balanced diets and have their babies in hospitals.
♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
- The subject of this story is the Millennium Development Goal of improving maternal health.
HAVE FUN WITH THIS BOOK
- Read an excerpt here: http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0103/7312/files/Excerpt_for_websitePages_from_Red_Transistor_01-32_tp.pdf?3624
- Learn more about the 7th Millennium Development Goal here: https://www.unicef.org/mdg/files/childfriendlymdgs_edited.pdf
CHALLENGE: The Red Transistor Radio
CREATE (WRITE a Story/Poem OR DRAW)
Read the story above and answer the questions below:
- Draw a girl in a Fulani outfit (4 – 6 year olds)
- List the Millennium Development Goals? (7 – 8 year olds)
- Draw a picture showing 3 things pregnant women can do to prevent maternal mortality. (7 – 8 year olds)
Send your answers to email@example.com
Entry requirements: Entrants must be within the 4 – 8 age range. The first correct entry will be announced on this page and will win a copy of this book.
Answers must be submitted before 12:00am on Thursday, February 16th 2017.
Next Book of the Week:
NGOZI COMES TO TOWN by Fatima Akilu
photo credit: cassavarepublic.biz