Title: The Wonderful Wizard of Oz
Author: L. Frank Baum
Number of pages: 80;182
Type of Book: Classic, Fiction
http://www.amazon.com/The-Wonderful-Wizard-of-Oz/dp/1403710090/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1458186667&sr=8-1&keywords=wizard+of+oz+book+bendon; free download here: http://www.huzheng.org/bookstore/TheWonderfulWizardOfOz.pdf
Price: N580; $7.99
Dorothy lived an ordinary life with her aunt and uncle in a small cottage in the Texas prairie until the cyclone came. It whisked Dorothy and the cottage away to a world so far and different from Kansas. A world filled with all sorts of creatures; witches, wizards, little human beings, talking animals, sleep-inducing flowers, wish-granting Golden caps etc. Only Oz, the Great and Powerful wizard can help Dorothy find her way home. Join Dorothy as she makes new friends and enemies and overcomes the perils along the Yellow Brick Road as she journeys to the Emerald City in search of the wonderful wizard of Oz.
THUMBS UP AND DOWN
I watched the movie before I read the book. Somehow that made me love it even more. Some major highlights were the Queen of the Field Mice, the Hammerheads, the Winkies, the Wicked Witch of the West, the Golden Cap and of course, the wizard himself, Oz, the Great and Powerful!
NB: in the movie, Dorothy had ruby red shoes but in the book, her shoes were silver.
- How did Dorothy and her friends find the Emerald City? They followed the Yellow Brick Road.
- These three accompanied Dorothy on her journey to the Emerald City to see the Wizard of Oz? The Scarecrow, The Tin Woodman and the Cowardly Lion
- What did Dorothy and her friends want from Oz? Dorothy wanted him to send her back to Kansas, the Scarecrow wanted brains, the Tin Woodman wanted a heart and the cowardly Lion wanted courage.
- How many times did the Wicked Witch of the West try to kill Dorothy and her friends? Three times.
- How did Oz appear to Dorothy and her friends? To Dorothy: An enormous head (bigger than the head of any giant) without a body, hands or legs. To the Scarecrow: A lovely lady with flowing green hair, beautiful wings, a dress made of green gauze and a crown of jewels. To the Tin Woodman: A terrible beast, bigger than an elephant with the head of rhinoceros, five eyes, five long arms and five long legs. To the cowardly Lion: A great Ball of Fire.
- What did Oz ask for in return? He asked Dorothy and her friends to kill the scariest witch of all time, the Wicked Witch of the West!
Read the book here: http://www.huzheng.org/bookstore/TheWonderfulWizardOfOz.pdf
Watch a clip from the movie here:
CHALLENGE: The Wonderful Wizard of Oz
CREATE (WRITE a Story/Poem OR DRAW)
- Imagine waking up in a different world, then write a short 600-word story describing the world.
- Draw a picture of the Emerald City using the details below:
“The streets were lined with beautiful houses all built of green marble and studded everywhere with sparkling emeralds. They walked over a pavement of the same green marble, and where the blocks were joined together were rows of emeralds, set closely, and glittering in the brightness of the sun. The window panes were of green glass; even the sky above the City had a green tint, and the rays of the sun were green.
There were many people, men, women, and children, walking about, and these were all dressed in green clothes and had greenish skins.”
- Write a 600-word short story with any of the following themes: Courage OR Friendship
Send your answers to firstname.lastname@example.org
Entry requirements: Entrants must be within the 8-12 age range. The first correct entry will be announced on this page and will win a copy of this book.
Answers must be submitted before 12:00am on Sunday, March 20th 2016.
Next Book of the Week:
THE WITCHES by Roald Dahl