Title: Clever Squirrel and the Wedding Competition
Author: Yusuf .M. Adamu
Publisher: Cassava Republic Press
Number of pages: 32
Type of Book: Fiction; African
Age: 4 – 8
Beautiful Gazelle and clever Squirrel were in love. However, Gazelle’s father wasn’t sure Squirrel was deserving of his daughter, so he decided to hold a wedding competition. Six suitors emerged to compete for Gazelle’s hand in marriage: rich Tortoise, handsome Zebra, talkative Parrot, strong Rhinoceros, vain Snake and, of course, clever Squirrel.
Gazelle’s father had a riddle for the suitors:
‘Where does the rainy season go during the dry season and where does the dry season go during the rainy season?’
Can you solve the riddle? Read the book to find out how clever Squirrel outsmarted all the other animals and won beautiful Gazelle’s hand in marriage!
THUMBS UP AND DOWN
UP: The story is based on a popular Hausa folktale! This was a huge plus for me. It is also beautifully illustrated! Ok, I have a thing for illustrations! I’m a pretty visual person so the prints and the pictures in a book sometimes help me decide whether or not to buy it. The characters in this book were exquisitely dressed in Hausa outfits such as the kaftan, babbar riga, etc., as well as some simple yet lovely Ankara print outfits.
I admired the Rhino’s decision to try in spite of the very real possibility of being beaten. (You have to read the book to understand. *tongue in cheek*)
DOWN: Squirrel actually lied to the other animals to get ahead. Young readers must be made to understand that winning fair and square is much better than ‘outsmarting’ others.
- Ask your child to spot 3 animals that pop up in the illustrations but aren’t mentioned in the book. a. a goat b. a rabbit c. a leopard
- Ask your child to list four features of the marriage ceremony in the book. a. music (drummers) b. food and drinks c. colourful traditional outfits d. decorations (flowers)
HAVE FUN WITH THIS BOOK
- Team the reading experience with a mini-competition of sorts. Teach your child the importance of fighting fair.
CHALLENGE: Clever Squirrel and the Wedding Competition
CREATE (WRITE OR DRAW)
- List 5 traditional outfits worn by any tribe in Nigeria.
- Draw the typical traditional marriage outfit worn by men and women in your village.
Send your answers to email@example.com
Entry requirements: Entrants must be within the 4 – 8 age range. The first correct entry will be announced on this page and will win a copy of this book.
Answers must be submitted before 12:00am on Wednesday, January 6th 2016
Next Book of the Week:
HANDA’S HEN by Eileen Browne