Title: Handa’s Surprise
Author: Eileen Browne
Publisher: Farafina/Walker Books
Number of pages: 32 (24 of the actual story)
Type of Book: Fiction; African
Age: 3 – 6
Price: N350; GBP 5.99
‘Handa put seven delicious fruits in a basket for her friend, Akeyo. She will be surprised, thought Handa as she set off for Akeyo’s village.’
However, as Handa walked to Akeyo’s village, seven animals stole all seven fruits from Handa’s basket without her knowledge! Read the book to find out how both Handa and Akeyo were surprised when Handa arrived at Akeyo’s village with a basket full of fruits!!
THUMBS UP AND DOWN
UP: It is a fun way for children to learn a little bit about Kenya. It gives an insight into the life of people of the Luo tribe of South-West Kenya. Its vibrant illustrations show fruits and animals common to this part of Kenya. With a few exceptions, these fruits and animals also make up the flora and fauna of Nigeria.
I especially like the fact that this book can be read to toddlers (1-3), while early independent readers (4-6 year olds) can read it on their own.
- Ask your child to spot 5 animals that pop up in the illustrations but aren’t mentioned in the book.
(a.) cows (b.) lizards (c.) a snake (d.) chickens (e.) a dog
- Ask your child to spot 4 insects that pop up in the illustrations but aren’t mentioned in the book.
(a.) bugs. (b.) flies. (c.) butterflies. (d.) grasshoppers. NB: Spiders are not insects
HAVE FUN WITH THIS BOOK
- Watch a video of the Handa’s Surprise song here:
- Team the reading experience with a fruit-tasting fete AND/OR making animal sounds
CHALLENGE: Handa’s Surprise
CREATE (WRITE OR DRAW)
- List 10 animals commonly found in Nigeria
- Draw 10 insects commonly found in Nigeria
Send your answers to firstname.lastname@example.org
Entry requirements: Entrants must be within the 4 – 6 age range. The first correct entry will be announced on this page and will win a copy of this book.
Answers must be submitted before 12:00am on Thursday, November 26th 2015
Next Book of the Week:
CHICKEN IN THE KITCHEN by Nnedi Okoroafor