Title: Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Rodrick Rules
Author: Jeff Kinney
Publisher: Puffin Books
Number of pages: 217
Type of Book: Fiction; Contemporary; Graphic Novel
Age: 10+ (Because younger readers are more impressionable and Greg is not a good role model)
Available here: http://www.konga.com/diary-of-a-wimpy-kid-rodrick-rules-1091364; http://www.wordsmithbook.com/book/childrens-books/DIARY-OF-A-WIMPY-KID-COLLECTION/; https://www.jumia.com.ng/jumia-books-rodrick-rules-7005.html; http://www.amazon.com/Rodrick-Rules-Diary-Wimpy-Book/dp/0810994739
Price: N2500; $8.37
In ‘Rodrick Rules’, Rodrick does indeed rule. Rodrick made GH miserable in this book in so many laughable ways. He camped out in the bathroom after dinner every night so that GH had to do the dishes all by himself, he sold a paper he failed to GH, he locked GH in the basement while he had a party with his friends and made him clean the after-party mess up, he made GH ride in the back of his van with his band equipment so that GH crashed into them whenever he (Rodrick) hit the brakes and when GH complained, he went over every speed bump he could find, he threatened to spill GH’s secret from last summer every chance he got and he eventually did spill the secret! Read this book to find out the ‘secret’ Rodrick the bully held over GH for so long and what happened to dear GH after the secret was spilled.
THUMBS UP AND DOWN
UP: Humor! If I could say one thing for the Wimpy Kid series, it’s that they have humor going for them. With ‘Rodrick Rules’, I laughed until I cried! I loved the illustrations, they were quite quirky.
DOWN: I cannot overemphasize this point. GH is not a role model for the average tween.
- Why were GH’s brothers the bane of his existence? His big brother Rodrick was quite lazy and a bully and his little brother Manny was a big tattletale, a miniature snitch.
- How did Rodrick get GH to keep mum about his party even after locking him up in the basement all night and making him clean up the mess from the party the next day? By threatening to spill his (GH’s) ‘secret’
- One of the lessons GH learnt in this book? Never to buy an assignment. He bought Rodrick’s old assignment from him because he was too lazy to do his, only to find out at the last minute that Rodrick made an ‘F’ on the assignment!
- Why did GH get stuck with Scott, the blubbering 6-year-old in the annual winter Talent Show? Because he hid a dumbbell under a pillow knowing that Rowley would kick it and Rowley did and broke his toe! So he had to take Rowley’s place as Scott’s magician’s assistant.
- When asked where he thought he would be in 15 years, what was GH’s mental response? ‘In my pool, at my mansion, counting my money’
- But what kind of job did the career day questionnaire predict that he would have? His response to that ‘There must be something wrong with the way they set these forms up or something because I don’t know any clerks who are billionaires ’
Read an excerpt here: http://www.wimpykid.com/books/book2/
Visit GH here: www.wimpykid.com
CHALLENGE: Diary of the Wimpy Kid: Rodrick Rules
CREATE (WRITE a Story/Poem OR DRAW)
- Where do you see yourself in 15 years? Write a short 200-word story
- Watch the Diary of a Wimpy Kid movie and draw a picture to show how the movie affected you.
- Write a poem on the importance of having pen pals.
Send your answers to email@example.com
Entry requirements: Entrants must be within the 8-12 age range. The first correct entry will be announced on this page and will win a copy of this book.
Answers must be submitted before 12:00am on Tuesday, November 3rd.
Next Book of the Week:
ZAHRAH THE WINDSEEKER by Nnedi Okoroafor-Mbachu