Title: Best Friends
Author: Jacqueline Wilson
Publisher: Corgi Yearling
Number of pages: 224
Type of Book: Fiction, Contemporary
Available here: http://wordsmithbook.com/book/childrens-books/BEST-FRIENDS/
Even though Gemma and Alice have been best friends since they were born (they were born on the same day in the same hospital) they are NOTHING alike. Alice is every bit the lady while Gemma is a boisterous tomboy. In spite of their differences, they loved each other and shared everything. Find out what happens when Gemma realizes that Alice has a secret she hasn’t shared which may change their friendship forever.
THUMBS UP AND DOWN
UP: Gemma!!!! She gave me a good number of laughs, bless her soul and a time or two, she made me almost cry too. It is a beautifully crafted tale of friendship, which the little girl in most of us can relate to especially if you lost best friends either to new friends or ‘cos they had to move to new towns or new schools.
DOWN: It was about ‘thirty-something’ pages too long.
- How Gemma lost her long hair: She got it all sticky after she got into a giant bubblegum-blowing contest with the boys. .
- Which friend climbed halfway up a drainpipe in the school playground and crashed to the ground and which friend was made a form monitor? Gemma, Alice
- What did Gemma want to do to Miss Cholmondly in the ladies’ room? She badly wanted to stuff her head first into the toilet and flush it.
- This person made Gemma furious many times and eventually, Gemma thrust a chocolate cake in her face. Flora
- Why did Alice leave Gemma? Because she had to move to Scotland with her family.
- The origin of Biscuit’s nickname? He has a voracious appetite. He can eat a whole packet of chocolate Hobnobs in exactly 2 minutes! I suppose it doesn’t help matters that his real surname is McVitie.
Visit Gemma and Alice here: http://www.jacquelinewilson.co.uk/library.php
CHALLENGE: Best Friends
“Best Friends For Ever”
Did/Do you have one?
If yes, write a brief 200-word essay on the joys of having best friends
If no, write a brief 200-word essay on the joys of NOT having best friends
Send your answers to email@example.com
Entry requirements: Entrants must be within the 8-12 age range. The best entry will be announced on this page and will win a copy of this book.
Answers must be submitted before 12:00am on Tuesday, November 3rd.
Next Book of the Week:
DIARY OF A WIMPY KID: RODRICK RULES by Jeff Kinney