Title: Ellie and the Cat
Author: Malorie Blackman
Publisher: Cassava Republic Press
Number of pages: 93
Type of Book: Fiction
Available here: http://www.cassavarepublic.biz/products/ellie-and-the-cat; http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1843623919/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1447670493&sr=1-1&keywords=ellie+and+the+cat
Price: N400; GBP 5.99
MY SUMMARY (without the ending):
Ellie is a very spoilt and very mouthy kid. She calls her grandma ‘dumpy and frumpy’ to her face, complains about EVERYTHING and throws her dinner, which she calls smelly, stinky and rotten, under the table. But she’s really just a lonely child who has no friends. When Grandma decides to teach Ellie a lesson by switching her with Jolly the cat, Ellie learns to be less mouthy and make new friends. But will she find Grandma’s ring before the time limit or remain a cat forever?
THUMBS UP AND DOWN
UP: Humour! The book made me laugh. I especially loved the names of the mouse and spider, Grimbledon Scunacrunch and Vinegar Blunderthud respectively. It also teaches some moral lessons without being didactic.
- How many magic tricks did Ellie’s Grandma perform: 1. She switched Ellie and Jolly the cat. 2. She made Ellie’s dinner appear on her plate after Ellie had thrown it under the table.
- Was Jolly a good cat or a bad cat? Bad cat
- Did Jolly want to change back into a cat so he could chase and eat all the mice or did he want to remain a girl? He wanted to be a girl.
- The first two friends Ellie made. Grimbledon Scunacrunch, the mouse and Vinegar Blunderthud, the spider.
- How much time did Ellie have to find Grandma’s wedding ring before she had to remain a cat forever? Until dinner time the next day.
- The ‘best silk tapestries’ made by Vinegar Blunderthud were really —– Cobwebs
Next Book of the Week (01/June/2015 – 07/June/2015):
(HERE’S HANK series) BOOKMARKS ARE PEOPLE TOO! BOOK 1 by Henry Winkler and Lin Oliver