Author: Jeff Kinney
Number of pages: 217
Type of Book: Fiction, Graphic Novel
Age: 10+ (Because younger readers are more impressionable and Greg is not a good role model)
Available here: http://www.konga.com/diary-of-a-wimpy-kid-1091353; Terrakulture, Victoria Island Lagos; http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0810993139/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_1?pf_rd_p=1944687502&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=0810994739&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1GK89NW3FF6RJMSH6BSZ
Price: N2,500; N1,600; $8.37
MY SUMMARY (without the ending):
Greg Heffley (GH) is the Wimpy Kid and this book is his diary (or journal), complete with the ruled lines you’d find in the average book as well as the amateur drawings of a 9-year-old. GH is not the average 9-year-old boy; he’s sneakier, lazier and funnier and his diary will make you fight the urge to give him a few smacks, make you laugh, make you shake your head in annoyance a few times and may make you want to read the 9 or so other books in the series. A good read.
THUMBS UP AND DOWN
UP: Humour! Oh! the thoughts GH came up with, the deeds he carried out and the ways he justified them!! The book had me in stitches for days!
DOWN: The negative reviews I read about this series described GH as a jerk and a slacker. Sadly, I agree with them because, unfortunately, most of the humorous parts of this book had Greg Heffley doing something bad to someone or some people. It is therefore not the best book (and this is an understatement) for kids who want to make and keep friends or make good grades in school for that matter.
Or maybe it is, if you do the opposite of most of the things that GH did. J
- ‘If Rowley ever gets too big for his britches, I’ll just remind him that he was the guy who ate the _ _ _ _ _ _.’ Cheese: a piece of mouldy, rotten cheese that had been on the basketball court for months.
- The name of Rodrick’s band. Löded Diper (from ‘loaded diaper’)
- Why did GH sign up to be a tree at the school play? So that he could pelt Patty Farrell with apples in front of a live audience
- Why? Because he wanted to cheat on his Geography test and she foiled his plans
- ‘Dear Gregory, I’m very sorry I chased you with a booger (dried mucus from the nose) on my finger. Here, I put it on this paper so you can get me back’ Who wrote this note? And what happened afterwards? Fregley, GH passed out
- GH is totally concerned about his ‘popularity’ position in school (he’s 52nd or 53rd) so he hatches all sorts of ‘unsuccessful’ plans to become famous. Some of them: running for student government treasurer, trying to get voted the class clown, trying to become the cartoonist for the school paper.
Read an excerpt here: http://www.wimpykid.com/books/book1-2/
Visit GH here: www.wimpykid.com
Next Book of the Week (27/May/2015 – 02/June/2015):
THE HIDDEN STAR by K. Sello Duiker