Title: Akata Witch also ‘What Sunny Saw in the Flames’
Author: Nnedi Okoroafor
Publisher: Cassava Republic Press
Number of pages: 229
Available here: http://www.cassavarepublic.biz/collections/new-books/products/what-sunny-saw-in-the-flames; http://www.amazon.com/Akata-Witch-Nnedi-Okorafor/dp/0670011967
Price: N 800; $11.72
Akata Witch is a GREAT BOOK, one that I’d read again and again. It’s about an Igbo girl, Sunny who moved back to Nigeria from the US and discovered that she could see into the future. This marked the beginning of her journey into the world of the Leopard People. Sunny discovered she had magical powers, made friends with Orlu, Chi Chi and Sasha and trained as part of a team to stop Black Hat Otokoto and Ekwensu from destroying the world.
Thumbs Up: The river creature, Leopard Knocks (the West African Headquarters for the Leopard People), the mentors (Anatov, Kehinde, Taiwo and Sugar Cream) as well as the explosive tainted pepper soup, chittim, tungwa, walking books, spirit faces and wasp artists make this book a fascinating read. Truly unputdownable!
Thumbs Down: It ended abruptly. I had waited so long for the show down, you know, the ‘last fight’ that I was quite disappointed that the fight with Ekwensu was over in seconds.
Rating: Five Stars
AKATA WITCH TRIVIA
- In the last chapter, Sunny’s wasp artist built a man that looked like ………
- What currency did the Leopard people use?
- How did Sunny give Jibaku a good scare?
- What would happen if you put the following ingredients in the Tainted Pepper Soup? a. small tomatoes b. chicken c. chicken magi cubes d. not perfectly round onions
- What was Sunny’s Mentor’s called?
- What exploded over Sunny’s head in Leopard Knocks?
- What was the title of the slim, green book with tiny black legs, that taught Sunny lots of things about the Leopard people?
- BLACK HAT OTOKOTO
- SHE SHOWED JIBAKU HER SPIRIT FACE
- THE FINISHED SOUP WILL EXPLODE WITHIN AN HOUR!
- SUGAR CREAM
- TUNGWA: A floating bag of warm wet air containing teeth, bone, red chunks of raw, rotten meat and tufts of hair. Yuck!
- FAST FACTS FOR FREE AGENTS
Read an excerpt from the book here: https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0103/7312/files/Pages_from_WSSITFLayoutFinal_V4_P191.pdf?3812
Visit its website here: https://aobermeier629.wordpress.com
Next Book of the Week (06/May/2015 – 12/May/2015):
CHARLIE AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY by Roald Dahl
photo credit: amazon.com; cassavarepublic.biz